The Task Group is comprised of representatives from parishes around East Horsley with the remit of working together to instruct and encourage residents to mitigate their everyday effect on Climate Change. Useful links and latest initiatives are regularly updated and posted on the Action for Climate Change page.
Other members: Parish Clerk Nick Clemens, Catherine Young (West Horsley PC and Borough Councillor), Jerome Muscat, Liz Hogger (Effingham PC), Jim Morris (Ripley PC), Julia Osborne (Ockham PC), residents Alex Veys and Sabrina Dar Watkin.
The Task Group needs to know what residents want on their agenda to help mitigate Climate Change. Please take a few minutes to complete this survey
The Climate Change Task Group's ambition is to develop local initiatives in support of the national 2030 and 2050 Zero Carbon emission targets.
The group will include East Horsley Parish Councillors, members of the public and other specialist organisations, as well as experts who can contribute to the objectives. Ideally, the membership will be of varying ages, backgrounds and experiences.
Also established is a wider group with neighbouring Parish Councils (PCs) - The Parish Council Climate Change Group (PCCC). To date the group have connected with West Horsley, Effingham, Ockham and Ripley. The aim is to work closely to bounce ideas and share the load.
Some proposed objectives are:
- Advise the PC and residents on ways to reduce carbon emissions.
- To explore achievable changes that can be adopted by residents to minimise their impact on the environment
- To explore options that benefit the environment & reduce impact on the climate
At the first PCCC meeting, Effingham presented suggestions which gave “first steps” ideas. These stimulated discussion about how each Council could help their own parishes including:
- Climate Change website page
- Recruitment of volunteers and experts
- Engage with local parishioners
- Expansion of recycling facilities
- Electric car and cycle charging bays
- Cycle path extensions
- Increased local biodiversity programmes
- Energy and water conservation at home
- LED Street lighting
- Climate Change Activity Survey
To date, East Horsley has some LED Street lighting and the Village Hall heating is supplied by a ground source heat pump.